Thursday, 25 June 2015
Vets in Surrey Explain Why You Should Never Give Your Dog Chocolate
It can be difficult to resist those pleading eyes as your dog begs for a snack, but chocolate is one tempting treat you should never give your dog. Chocolate is potentially lethal for dogs and it is wise never to let them acquire a taste for it. Why Is Chocolate Toxic for Dogs? Chocolate is one of the most common causes of poisoning in dogs. It contains a substance, similar to caffeine, called theobromine. The higher the concentration of cocoa solids in the chocolate, the higher the levels of theobromine. White chocolate contains the lowest levels while baking chocolate and cocoa powder contain the highest. Theobromine is also poisonous for humans if they eat large amounts of it, but dogs are much more susceptible, and eating just a small amount of dark chocolate can cause them to become ill or even to die.